Interview with Tu Menswear Designer Andy Burns on Christmas style
Making the biggest wishes come true should neither break Santa’s back nor the Bank of Mum & Dad.
1. As a designer, what inspires you most about the Christmas season?
It’s the fun phase for menswear because it’s as much about giving as treating yourself. Nostalgia rules this season – old films, your favourite characters, historic brands…it makes everyone feel warm inside.
2. Who is your Christmas style icon?
Bond. James Bond, of course.
3. Let’s talk Christmas jumpers. Any tips for styling them and still looking cool?
This season we’ve not just stopped at the jumper, we’ve added fun tees so everyone can come to the celebration in their own way (and without overheating!). As for tips, don’t try to hide it, embrace it!
4. What’s on your Tu wishlist this holiday season?
The re-coloured tartan shirt is a style essential which comes into its own this Christmas. Also, the party shirt returns! Smarten up and be a peacock this party season. Dress up, go out, get down (especially if you like that 70s vibe!). And please remember: a floral shirt can be manly.
5. What’s your idea of a perfect New Year’s Eve outfit this year and where would you wear it?
The dress suit styled casually with a relaxed Opulent Print shirt or worn with a pair of our stretch Rinse Jeans. Such an excellent look for over-indulgence!
6. Do you have any style resolutions for 2016?
Show up, suit up and invest in the best quality pieces that last. I plan to stay smart and clean up my wardrobe with something plain.